Sunday, February 14, 2016

Here's to Honey, Lemon, & Tea


Honey, tea, & lemon

“I like to call in sick to work at places where I’ve never held a job. 
Then when the manager tells me I don’t work there, I tell them I’d 
like to. But not today, as I’m sick.”
― Jarod Kintz

You probably have guessed it by the quote and title, but in case you haven't, I'm sick. . . have been for a week now.  It all started when someone's husband (who shall remain nameless) came down with a coughing disease about 13 days ago, and the rest, shall we say, is history.  In addition to canceling both of my memoir classes last week, I also opted out of a Chinese New Year celebration and some other fun magazine stuff. 

Like everyone else, I hate getting sick.  I have too much stuff to do, and I hate being delayed by a stupid virus. A friend told me to take my time and just get well.  I'm trying.  Another person chastised me for not seeing the doctor and getting antibiotics.

"This is bad stuff," she said.  "I'm on my second round of antibiotics. You better go to the doctor this week."

I know this is bad stuff, but I'm not going to the doctor.  There's a reason her second round of antibiotics have not worked, and it's the same reason the first round didn't work.  My doctor and I have had the conversation about antibiotics many times, and he would not prescribe them even if I brought him Italian coffee and pizzelles and threw myself at his feet and begged because antibiotics do not cure viral infections.  Unfortunately, most sore throats, colds, bronchitis, flu, and sinus or ear infections are viral, and antibiotics just will not wipe them out.


Speaking of out, the antibiotic-free-nameless husband and I ventured out for a bit today, and we're sitting in a very busy Starbucks. I haven't had coffee in more than four days since everything tastes like crap.  I had tea earlier, but it tasted like crap, so I thought I'd try the coffee since we were at Starbucks. It still tastes like crap. I do, however, enjoy watching the seven women (Yes, seven!) working here. Two work the registers, and one does pour-overs and coffee pours.  One is cleaning up. The fifth one is refiling supplies, and the last two are doing the specialty drinks.

Most of the specialty drinks are those special chocolate chocolate things that Starbucks is offering this weekend. The nameless husband and I are sitting at the bar next to where they make the specialty drinks, so we get to see the gals making them.  Most have been veintes (the large size for non-Starbucks lovers) topped with chocolate, chocolate syrup, and whipped cream.  The calorie count alone would keep me away from those things, although just thinking about how sickeningly sweet they are gags me.  (No offense to anyone who loves them....)




What it comes down to is that when you're sick, I think your senses are heightened.  I know mine are. A noise that might not bother me on any other day drives me crazy right now (TURN OFF THAT DAMN BLENDER!). The mere sight of a donut or vegetable soup makes me gag (ALL I WANT IS DRY TOAST!). And the smells... the smells... (GOOD GRIEF, LADY!  DID YOU SPILL A BOTTLE OF PERFUME ON YOUR CLOTHES?)   Of course, the smells could be the opposite....if you get my drift.

I digressed a bit.... Sorry. 

BTW,,,, I'm not kidding about the antibiotic thing.  If you want to read more about why you shouldn't always take antibiotics when you get a cold or sore throat, click here.

At any rate, I think my Starbucks visit is over.... Back to the La-Z Boy.  Here's to a better day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment