Tuesday, December 22, 2015

We Are The Cardinals




“While they talked they remembered the 
years of their youth, and each thought of 
the other as he had been at another time.”
― John Williams


I left Youngstown, Ohio, some 40 years ago, watching the city disappear in my rear-view mirror as I barreled down 680 and I-76 toward Columbus, a new job, a new life.  Most of the people I knew—friends from school, from work, from the neighborhood—disappeared in that rear-view mirror, too, although I would occasionally see some of them when I was in town visiting my family.  If you think about it, I was no different than anyone else. Most of us, even those who lived in the same city, moved on with our new jobs, new lives, new families, new friends.

St. Nick's Crew (Linda & Cindy in front; Nan, Moi, Tim, & Denise)
In the 90s, the internet rolled into our lives, and I reconnected via AOL with a few people from Youngstown.  When we had the occasion to be online at the same time, we could "instant message" via AOL's old chat application. It wasn't, however, until Facebook torpedoed into our lives that we were able to find more and more friends.  Suddenly, very suddenly, we were involved with each other again.


Barb and I with Denise looking on (and Cathie in back)

It is an amazing phenomenon, this thing called Facebook.  It propelled us toward each other and, in many cases, forged bonds that were stronger than the ones we had years and years ago.  Face it.  When you go to a 2400+-student high school and are in a class of 410 students, you will, most likely, have a close group of friends and a larger group of acquaintances.  And, you will feel lost and feel as though you are the only one who feels that way, but you will hide your fear and insecurity under a blanket of bravado or quiet or smiles so no one else really sees it.

St. Dom's (Jan, Michelle, Maureen, Patti, Cathie, John, & Loretta)
Enter Facebook so many years later.  I've read a couple of articles debunking Facebook friendships as superficial, weak, fake, and more. I prefer, though, to agree with those who tout the benefits of Facebook friendships that allow us to reconnect, to interact, to improve relationships that were, at one point, not as strong simply because of the timing or the factors involved.  I know that in my own case, I have reconnected with so many elementary and high school friends, and we have supported each other through happiness and difficulties and agonies. We've held each others' proverbial hands tightly with prayers and wishes and words. We've laughed. We've cried. We've just been there no matter if five or ten or one hundred or two thousand miles separate us.


The St. Mathias (Marisa) & Sts. Cyril & Methodius gals (Laura & Loretta)
And, so it was when Mike and I decided to drive to Ohio so we could see family before heading to Richmond to see Jason that I asked if anyone would like to get together for a few hours while we were in Youngstown. People agreed, and one of my friends, Jan, called a restaurant to reserve space for us.

Michelle and moi

About 20 of us showed up...some with spouses, some without.... and we had a wonderful three hours. We talked and hugged and talked and laughed and talked and talked and talked and laughed. When we sat for lunch or to take a photo, it was like wrangling cats to get us to stop the chatting, get together, and look at the same camera at the same time (the most impossible task).

Patti, Jan, and I.... No, we have not grown up!

A few times, I just stood, watched, and remembered the four years we shared at Cardinal Mooney High School. I thought of how we were then and how—though we are older and have gone so far over so many years—we really are the same.


I could go on, but I'd get maudlin, and no one likes a maudlin smart ass. So, I'll end this with a note to my dear friends: I thank you so much for the wonderful time Sunday. Thank you for the friendship, the support, the laughs, the love. 

We are the Cardinals. Yesterday. Today. Tomorrow. Forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment